The Royal Commission into Child Sexual Abuse will be the largest Royal Commission in Australia’s history. It will be focusing on the sexual abuse of children in the institutions that were supposed to care for them. It will put a spotlight on church, secular and state institutions.
This website has been established to provide victims and stakeholders with a source of regular news and resources to help them understand the process and have their voices heard. We aim to provide the latest Royal Commission news here and on our Facebook page.
The resources we’ve compiled are designed to help inform survivors of child abuse and their families about the Royal Commission, seeking an apology, compensation and support. Click on the cover image to receive your copy.
Browse news articles about the Royal Commission Into Child Sexual Abuse below.
Posted on Monday, April 4th, 2016 by Peter Kelso
Tax concessions granted to religious organisations see the Federal Government miss out on taxing $30 billion of their revenue each year, according to an article in The Age. Image: … Continue reading
Posted on Friday, March 18th, 2016 by Peter Kelso
Police were first alerted to child abuse allegations against Sydney dance teacher, Grant Davies, in 2007, but it was another six years before Davies was arrested on multiple child sex charges in 2013, the Royal Commission was told this month. … Continue reading
Posted on Tuesday, March 1st, 2016 by Peter Kelso
“It’s a sad story and it wasn’t of much interest to me,” said Cardinal George Pell of his response at the time sexual abuse allegations were first being aired against paedophile priest Gerald Ridsdale, the former Ballarat priest who has … Continue reading
Posted on Tuesday, February 16th, 2016 by Peter Kelso
Child abuse survivors were enraged this month by Justice Peter McClellan’s decision to allow Cardinal George Pell to give evidence to the Royal Commission via video link. Pell’s $20,000-a-day lawyer had argued vigorously that his client should be excused from … Continue reading
Posted on Thursday, February 4th, 2016 by Peter Kelso
The idea of a National Redress Scheme (NRS) for victims represents a positive step forward and is something I have proposed for a long time. A model for an NRS has now been recommended by the Child Abuse Royal Commission … Continue reading
Posted on Wednesday, February 3rd, 2016 by Peter Kelso
Hopes that the Federal Government may throw its weight behind the establishment of a national redress scheme for child abuse victims have suffered a setback. While the government announced its support for a nationally consistent scheme, it promised only to enter … Continue reading
Posted on Tuesday, January 19th, 2016 by Peter Kelso
Will Australia adopt a national redress scheme to support child sex abuse survivors? We will know by the end of January 2016, news.com.au has reported. The Child Abuse Royal Commission recommended last year that a national redress scheme, which is … Continue reading
Posted on Wednesday, January 6th, 2016 by Peter Kelso
The law is finally catching up with alleged perpetrators of violence at the Parramatta Girls’ Training Home, with the Daily Telegraph reporting last month that police had searched the homes of former bosses Frank Valentine and Noel Greenaway. This is … Continue reading
Posted on Tuesday, December 15th, 2015 by Peter Kelso
Pell’s Royal Commission appearance postponed and Jehovah’s Witnesses rebuked for inaction. Cardinal George Pell’s much anticipated appearance in the witness box at the Child Abuse Royal Commission this month has been postponed. … Continue reading
Posted on Friday, December 11th, 2015 by Peter Kelso
Shocking details of a priest who abused children in the confessional and threatened parishioners at gunpoint emerged at the Child Abuse Royal Commission last month. Source: Flickr.com Doveton parish priest Father Peter Searson molested children in the confessional, and sexually abused … Continue reading
Posted on Monday, December 7th, 2015 by Peter Kelso
South Australia is the nation’s meanest state, spending only about $1.2 million on compensation payments to people who have been abused in state care. This is a far cry from the responses of other states, which have spent up to … Continue reading
Posted on Wednesday, July 8th, 2015 by Peter Kelso
The NSW government is still promising to top up the claims of thousands of victims of crime who were short changed by the new victims support scheme; a scheme which reduced compensation payouts by tens of thousands of dollars for some. … Continue reading
Posted on Tuesday, July 7th, 2015 by Peter Kelso
New England police have charged 71 year old man, Ian Berryman with dozens of child sexual abuse offences involving 18 different complainants. The police investigation was sparked by a referral in 2013 from the Royal Commission after evidence was provided by … Continue reading
Posted on Tuesday, July 7th, 2015 by Peter Kelso
Around 50 women have come forward to police detectives to report abuse and rape at Parramatta Girls Training School as children in the 60’s and 70’s. Strike Force Bilvo has been established to investigate the claims, focusing on two former officers, Frank Valentine and … Continue reading
Posted on Wednesday, May 20th, 2015 by Peter Kelso
For decades it has been standard procedure for the Commissioner of Victims Rights to require the return of victims compensation awards paid under the NSW Government’s victims of crime compensation scheme if the applicant also receives money from another source in relation to the same act of violence; such … Continue reading
Posted on Friday, March 27th, 2015 by Peter Kelso
Chair of the Royal Commission, Justice McClellan has publicly declared his disappointment at the Commonwealth Government’s refusal to support a national redress scheme for survivors of institutional child abuse. The Commonwealth were invited to present their submissions on this issue during this week’s … Continue reading
Posted on Tuesday, March 24th, 2015 by Peter Kelso
The Royal Commission recently released a consultation paper on Redress and Civil Litigation for victims of abuse in institutions. If implemented, the changes proposed have the potential to enhance access to justice for survivors of abuse. Kelso Lawyers have provided … Continue reading
Posted on Tuesday, March 10th, 2015 by Peter Kelso
Kelso Lawyers call for the complete removal of the limitation period for claims involving child abuse, the setting aside of deeds of release, the making of churches’ property trusts liable for the actions of priests and the establishment of a … Continue reading
Posted on Wednesday, January 21st, 2015 by Peter Kelso
A group in the Hunter has compiled a list of more than 30 former Catholic school boys all of whom have two things in common – they were raped by Catholic paedophiles and they died from suicide or drug-related deaths. The group … Continue reading
Posted on Thursday, December 18th, 2014 by Peter Kelso
Any information you give to the Royal Commission in a private session is confidential. If the Commission needs to use it in one of its reports, it will keep your identity concealed. If the Commissioner who interviewed you wants … Continue reading
This is not the official website for the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses into Child Sexual Abuse. The website is hosted by Peter Kelso, a private solicitor with special interest in victims of abuse.
Peter is committed to providing you with the latest news and updates on the activities of the Royal Commission. Peter’s Facebook Page – Royal Commission into Child Sexual Abuse (Unofficial Page) is Australia’s most popular Facebook Page for news and updates on the Royal Commission.
Neither Peter Kelso nor Kelso Lawyers are connected to the Royal Commission.